Duration: 4.5 – 5.5 hours (3.5 of them walking)
Distance: 5 – 6km (3 – 3.5mi)
Includes: Awesome tour leader, private transportation to and from Callao port, tasty local snack and bottle of water.
Departures: This tour takes place exclusively in private service and ONLY upon request in advance. CONFIRMATION NEEDED. Please contact us first at firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting time: To be specified in coordination with Bike Tours of Lima
Meeting point: We pick you up from your hotel or place to stay in Miraflores, Barranco, San Isidro or the Historic center (for other areas of Lima, an extra fee applies, please ask) with a private vehicle and head on to Callao jurisdiction to start our walk. After our walk we are picked up again to be taken back to your hotel.
1 person: US$ 125.00
2 people: US$ 75.00 per person
3-6 people: US$ 210.00 flat rate
* BOOKING AHEAD IS MANDATORY – NO WALK-INS ACCEPTED ANY DAY FOR THIS ACTIVITY
On this tour we explore an area of the city usually left behind by other travelers given its distance from the main hotel spots in Lima. Callao is the name of the port of Lima, and even when now withholds a special ‘constitutional province’ status, its history is so attached to Lima that it could not exist without it, and Lima on the other hand, could not exist as we know it nowadays without Callao.
Surviving a strong decay in the past decades, Callao still retains a hidden charm that can only be discovered by walking through the main sights of this bucolic old port that once, served as the main maritime hub for the Spanish conquistadors in the Viceroyalty of Peru.
We will pass by and stop in front of the Iglesia Matriz, Real Felipe fortress – probably the biggest militar architecture building created by the spaniards in South America -, Plaza Grau, aristocratic ‘La Punta’ boardwalk, Chucuito colorful streets, Ronald Building, old ‘dársena’ and many many more.
- Experience Callao’s fascinating old and recent history
- Snap great photos at some of the main landmarks of Callao such as the Plaza Grau, Real Felipe fortress, Plaza Matriz, old port, La Punta and Chucuito neighborhoods and more
- Marvel at some of the old eclectic & republican style mansions at ‘La Punta’ district
- Admire the grand colonial militar architecture of the Real Felipe fortress
- Walk along the famous ‘Malecón de La Punta’ and colorful streets of former Italian neighborhood ‘Chucuito’
- Learn about some old hot spots of the glory days of Callao
‘Chalaco’ Walking Tour
Once referred to as simply the ‘Port of Lima’, Callao was more than just the harbor of the capital of the Viceroyalty of Peru, it was also the most important port in the western coast of the Spanish colonies in the Americas. Despite its infamous gangster & no man’s land reputation in the second half of the XX century, and countless run-down buildings and old houses, the port of Callao a.k.a ‘La perla del Pacífico’ since the XV century, has remarkably survived major earthquakes, devastating tsunamis and fierce war bombings, developing and shaping that special character that today describes the port and its people. Get immersed with us in this walk and become a ‘Chalaco’ for a day.